Take a seat, as these home burglary stats may be a bit hard to handle.
- 88% of all burglaries are in residential neighborhoods, not commercial.
- 77% of all crimes are property crimes.
- Renters are more exposed to property crime than homeowners.
- Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the U.S.
- 3 out of 4 homes in the U.S. will be broken into within the next 20 years.
- Police usually only clear 13% of reported burglaries due to lack of witnesses or physical evidence.
Every 13 seconds, a burglary happens in the US. Currently, the county is experiencing a national shutdown because of a pandemic. However, sooner or later people will be asked to go back to work full time.
According to the FBI, 65% of home burglaries happen between 6am to 6pm while you are at work or at school. The most common hours for a burglary are between 10am – 3pm. Once the workforce returns to their jobs, experts believe there will be a rise in home burglaries.
Why Get Home Security?
The obvious answer to get a home security system is to keep you, your family and your belongings safe. Security systems used to be expensive, however today, there are many financial perks:
- You can save up to 20% off your home or renters insurance cost
- SimpliSafe plans start as low as $15/month.
- AARP members can benefit from discounted rates on SimpliSafe
- Preventing a burglary is a lot cheaper than filing a claim.
Why home burglaries may increase
Home burglary increase when there is an economic depression, which we are currently experiencing. However, because the majority of the population is spending more time at home than ever before, the chances for burglars to enter properties are lower.
This doesn’t mean a homeowner is safe! Armed burglaries still occur while residents are at home. Criminals become more daring when their business slows down, and people who have lost their jobs and never thought about burglarizing might feel they are in dire straights and will do what ever they can to keep food on their plates.
Considering how police reform may reshape the way police respond to home burglaries, and the fact the police are able to identify only 13% of the burglaries, it’s imperative people start exploring other options to keep themselves, their family and their belongings safe.
Take these statistics into consideration:
- Homes without security systems are up to 300% more likely to be broken into.
- 95% of people who purchased home security systems are satisfied with the service.
- 54% of home security system owners are unsure of how to operate their system, leaving them vulnerable.
- Only 27% of homeowners with security systems in the U.S. arm their alarms only when they go to bed.
- Over the next five years, residential automation and smart systems will increase by 64%.
- Insurance agencies can offer discounts up to 20% when a home security system is installed.
What are the costs to Home Security Systems?
Home Security System costs vary by product and sophistication. On average, the cost for a home security monitoring service ranges from $15 to $35/month. The upfront cost of home security equipment typically ranges from $100 to $450 and monthly security equipment costs range from $10 to $35/month.
A lot of people may feel the economic impact of this pandemic and recession, so home security might not be on the top of their spending list. Because of this, SimpliSafe is offering for AARP members a discount for new subscribers.
What SimpliSafe does for you
Some pretty neat benefits of, SimpliSafe include:
- Warns you if your house is at risk of freezing: No more burst pipes.
- Warns against water damage: We catch leaks before they become bursts.
- Detects fires: Sounds a full alarm to get your family out
- See what happens in an emergency
- Capture crucial evidence
- Watch free anytime
- Get notified when your system detects activity via your Smart Phone.
- 24/7 alarm monitoring service is always there ready to alert police for your safety.
For a full list of benefits, visit SimpliSafe.
Or see their packages, custom build your own or get a quote today.
There is no better time to protect your home and your family than now. We have no issues spending $10 a month for a streaming TV service, we should have the same mentality when it comes to safely and protection of your loved ones.